Friday, April 3, 2009

And away we go,

Greetings, all. I'll be posting my first previews of the upcoming season soon, so check back for that.

To any friends of mine who are unfamiliar with some of the jargon I'll be using, here's a quick key:

I happen to be a big fan of the modern statistical movement, but for the most part I'll utilize these easy to understand stats-

batting line (eg. .288/.386/.499)= batting avg/on-base%/slugging%. It's a good, quick way to scan what kind of all-around season a player had. I prefer it to the traditional avg./homers/RBIs.

OPS+ and ERA+= these look like one of those complex stats that many aren't fond of, but they're actually very simple. They represent how much better than the league average a hitter's OPS or pitcher's ERA were, with 100 being the league average. So if a pitcher's ERA is 25% better than the league average, his ERA+ is 125.

No comments:

Post a Comment